Question

Living With Fibromyalgia

How will my fibromyalgia symptoms affect my partner's life?

• ACeleste Cooper, Rheumatology, answered

Your plans may need to be changed, as fibromyalgia symptoms and flares can be unpredictable. This not only affects you, it also affects your partner. We often forget that their life is changing too. They may need to pick up some tasks that you used to be able to do with zest. The best way for you and your partner to deal with these changes is to understand that chronic illness creates financial burden, has a social impact, and can create psychological shock to both of you. Your needs and desires are still the same; you may just have to find a new way of working through identifying what each of you CAN do. As with all things new, it takes time, be patient, and understand you are not in this alone.

Working together, keeping judgment at bay, and finding solutions that help both of you must always be the goal. 

See Real Age’s article on The Do’s and Don’ts of Fibromyalgia Caregiving at

http://www.sharecare.com/health/fibromyalgia/health-guide/manage-fibromyalgia-pain/fibromyalgia-caregiver-dos-and-donts.

How will my fibromyalgia symptoms affect my children's lives?