Question

Living With Fibromyalgia

Can I live a normal life with fibromyalgia?

• With smart and sometimes very small adjustments, your life can be much the same as it was before fibromyalgia. For example, if you had a regular fitness routine, you can still enjoy that, but you may need to decrease the intensity of your workouts or try some new forms of exercise. You can still enjoy the foods you love, but you may have to pay more attention to how those foods make you feel and avoid or cut back on ingredients (such as the artificial sweetener aspartame) that cause symptom flare-ups. Another key to living a normal life with fibromyalgia is communicating well and often with family and friends about your condition, so they can help you live the kind of life you want. Little changes like these can make a big difference in how you live with fibromyalgia.
  • AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    You can certainly live a normal life with fibromyalgia, though you may need to rethink what normal means to you. For starters, you need to accept that you have a chronic illness -- that is, one that you'll probably have for life. That will likely mean making changes in your habits and routines. But you can take comfort in the knowledge that many people with fibromyalgia continue to lead satisfying lives.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Yes, you can live a normal life with fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a controversial diagnosis in the medical community, with no laboratory, radiographic or diagnostic tests available to prove the diagnosis. This is a diagnosis offered after other more serious problems have been excluded. Patient education, exercise, and self-management skills offer the best treatment options for fibromyalgia symptoms.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How can I feel my best today with fibromyalgia?