Question

Living With Fibromyalgia

Can I live a normal life with fibromyalgia?

• With smart and sometimes very small adjustments, your life can be much the same as it was before fibromyalgia. For example, if you had a regular fitness routine, you can still enjoy that, but you may need to decrease the intensity of your workouts or try some new forms of exercise. You can still enjoy the foods you love, but you may have to pay more attention to how those foods make you feel and avoid or cut back on ingredients (such as the artificial sweetener aspartame) that cause symptom flare-ups. Another key to living a normal life with fibromyalgia is communicating well and often with family and friends about your condition, so they can help you live the kind of life you want. Little changes like these can make a big difference in how you live with fibromyalgia.
  • AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    You can certainly live a normal life with fibromyalgia, though you may need to rethink what normal means to you. For starters, you need to accept that you have a chronic illness -- that is, one that you'll probably have for life. That will likely mean making changes in your habits and routines. But you can take comfort in the knowledge that many people with fibromyalgia continue to lead satisfying lives.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ACeleste Cooper, Rheumatology, answered

First what really is normal? Normal to one person may not be normal for another.

Living with fibromyalgia will require adjustments. I like to think of it as learning ways to define my new normal, finding opportunity in adversity.

Identifying and avoiding aggravating factors, learning all you can about fibromyalgia, and embracing trial and error as a growing experience physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, can improve the new you. I love this quote:

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”
    --Kahlil Gibran

In times of trial, I try to remember this personal affirmation, “Life is a safari, it can be a rough ride but failing to enjoy my surroundings is the loss I suffer for the beauty is always there for the taking.”

In healing, Celeste

• Yes, you can live a normal life with fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a controversial diagnosis in the medical community, with no laboratory, radiographic or diagnostic tests available to prove the diagnosis. This is a diagnosis offered after other more serious problems have been excluded. Patient education, exercise, and self-management skills offer the best treatment options for fibromyalgia symptoms.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How can I feel my best today with fibromyalgia?