Question

Fats and Weight Loss

Why should I avoid a high-fat diet?

• AJanis Jibrin, MS, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of The Best Life
    Just as too little fat is no good, neither is too much. Very high-fat diets, where more than 45 percent of the calories consumed are from fat, can be dangerous to your waistline. At 9 calories per gram, fat has more than double the 4 calories per gram of protein and carbohydrates. Translated to real food, that's why 14 grams of olive oil (1 tablespoon) has 120 calories while 14 grams of sugar (a heaping tablespoon) has 54 calories, and 14 grams of cooked rice (a heaping tablespoon) has just 18 calories. You can see why it's so easy to quickly run up a big calorie tab when you eat foods high in fat. That's one of the reasons we'll be asking you to completely avoid fried foods; if you've been eating them, this change alone will help you drop some weight.
How can I reduce the fat in my diet?