Question

Eye and Vision

Will I need reading glasses after LASIK surgery?

• AMarian S. Macsai, MD, Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem
    Marian Macsai, MD - Will I need reading glasses after LASIK surgery?

Whether or not you will need reading glasses after LASIK surgery is dependent upon how old you are when you have LASIK and what type of LASIK you have. Learn more from Dr. Marian Macsai on behalf of NorthShore University about LASIK surgery.

• AGary Hirshfield, MD, Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
    It depends.  If you are well under 40 years old and have no other eye problems and both eyes are corrected for good distance vision with the laser then you will not likely need reading glasses after laser vision correction.  If you are over 40 and both eyes are treated for good distance vision you will need reading glasses immediately after the procedure or within a few years.  However, if you are over 40 you can consider monovision where one eye is corrected for distance and the other for near.  Before doing this it is wise to try this with contact lenses first to see if it gives you satisfactory function.  There is research going on in using the laser to create a multifocal cornea enabling both reading and distance in both eyes but these techniques are still being worked out and are not yet FDA approved.
How old do I need to be for LASIK surgery?