Question

Eye and Vision

If I put a raw steak on my black eye, will it help?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Celebs Ask Dr. Oz: Michael Emerson
    Ever wonder whether putting a raw steak on your black eye will help to heal it?

Watch the video to find out from Dr. Oz whether treating a black eye with a raw steak really works.

• AManuel Torres, MD, Family Medicine, answered on behalf of Baptist Health South Florida

You’ve probably seen someone putting a raw steak on their black eye in a movie or TV show plenty of times. The practice may do no harm in fictional dramas, but it is not a good remedy in real life for a black eye or for treating any injury, particularly open wounds.

The biggest danger is infection. A steak that is raw is potentially carrying bacteria. The reasoning behind the remedy is that the steak is frozen and the cold keeps down the swelling.

The intention is all good, but a clean ice pack or ice wrapped in a clean towel is the way to go. Even a bag of frozen vegetables is a better option. And, Dr. Scott says, if you have a black eye, be sure to seek medical attention immediately if you experience any vision problems.

What is a black eye?