Question

Eye Care

How often should I have my vision checked?

• AScripps Health answered

Our eyes need regular checkups from childhood through our senior years.

Between 20 and 40, eye disease is less common, so people with good vision and no health problems can visit the optometrist every two or three years.

After 40, annual exams are important to spot age-related vision changes and screen for problems more common in older adults.

However, anything that goes wrong with your eyesight, or how your eyes look or feel, should be addressed immediately.

• AGary Hirshfield, MD, Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
    From the American Academy of Ophthalmology policy statement on frequency of examination: "For young individuals at higher risk for certain diseases, such as African-Americans who are at higher risk for glaucoma, comprehensive eye examinations should be considered every 2 to 4 years for those under age 40, every 1 to 3 years for those aged 40 to 54, and every 1 to 2 years for those aged 55 to 64, even in the absence of visual or ocular symptoms. Adults with no signs or risk factors for eye disease should receive a baseline comprehensive eye evaluation at age 40. For asymptomatic individuals or individuals without risk factors who are 40 to 54 years old and who have had a comprehensive eye examination, the recommended interval for evaluations is 2 to 4 years. For individuals aged 55 to 64 years old, the recommended interval for evaluations is 1 to 3 years. For individuals 65 years old or older, the American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends an examination every 1 to 2 years, even in the absence of symptoms.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AAlan J Margolis, Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of MDLIVE
    The frequency of vision checks should be related to your age and any symptoms you may notice.  For children, I suggest an evaluation before starting school for the first time, and sooner if there is any sign of excessive squinting, funny head positioning or eyes which do not seem to line up straight.  As children grow they should be seen annually and once through puberty a bi-annual visit should be fine as long as no changes are noted in the quality of vision.  For adults with no family history of eye disease and no change in vision a bi-annual exam is adequate.  As we age I like to increase the frequency of examination to annually as I am on the lookout for development of cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma.  If a person develops any ocular disease the frequency of visits will change to reflect the condition being monitored or treated.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
When should I have dilated eye exams?