Question

Eye Care

How long does it take to recover from a ptygerium surgery?

• AGary Hirshfield, MD, Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart

This is dependent on how the surgery is done and the technique used.  In general I tell my patients that they may have significant foreign body sensation and sensitivity to light and some pain for 2 to 4 days and that would be the minimum time off.  Some can be uncomfortable for a week but that is unusual.  One important thing to note is that you must comply with your post-op drop regimen and that even though you can work, the eye will be red for several weeks at least and perhaps up to 3 months or so.  This redness will not prevent you from working.

Why do some eye drops need to be refrigerated?