Question

Exercise For Weight Loss

Why can't I lose weight or inches from exercising?

• AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine

You can lose weight and inches from exercise! You need to stick with your routine and keep yourself motivated. Depending on how long you have been exercising might be part of the reason. Are you new to your current program? Or have you been completing the same program for months without change? If either of those questions are a yes then you need to just stick with it or you need to re-vamp your program.

Also consider nutrition. Do not expect to lose weight just through exercise. You must be sure to have a healthy nutritional lifestyle in order to be successful in losing weight and/or inches. If you want further assistance, please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to assist!

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ARamani Durvasula, PhD, Psychology, answered
    From a strictly mathematical and efficiency perspective, exercise as a weight-loss “tool” doesn’t really make sense. While you can spend an hour on a treadmill huffing and puffing and maybe knock out 600 to 800 calories, you can probably turn around and consume that many calories in about five to eight minutes with a tuna sandwich and some coleslaw. So while exercise may aid in weight loss, it will only work if you also change your eating patterns. You can’t allow an intense workout to justify eating whatever you want. When people exercise, it begets hunger and many people assume that the exercise is a get-out-of-jail-free card: I worked out, so I can eat anything I want. But the truth is, you can’t. There are 3,500 calories in a pound. If you burn that many, you lose a pound. If you burn 600 calories in a workout and then eat a 1,200-calorie lunch (that you would not have eaten had you not worked out), then you are wasting your time and fighting a losing battle.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Losing weight all come down to caloric intake. You have got to burn more calories then you take in each and every day. It’s easy to kid yourself about the amount of calories you are consuming. This is why it’s so important to keep a log. You may very well be eating healthy, nutritious meals but if your portions sizes are off, you are not going to lose weight.  

I’ve seen plates out now with portion sizes on them to help with quick measurements for sit down meals. (www.mealmeasure.com) Logging food is your best bet because of the little things you just don’t think about; like the amount of creamer you add to your coffee or the catsup or mayo you put on a sandwich, the amount of salad dressing on that salad, or the BBQ sauce you brush on the grilled chicken. All these add up and can add up more quickly then you think.

Sharecare offers you a free food log under the topic, Fitness. Use it.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Does working out before eating help me burn more fat?