Question

Exercise For Weight Loss

If I want to lose fat fast, should I do as much cardio as possible?

• Although it is an important component, fat loss doesn’t only come from cardio. You’re more likely to lose fat faster if you add resistance training and interval training to your routine. Building lean muscle mass allows you to burn more calories, even when you’re not working out. Interval training allows you to add more intensity to your workouts which equates to burning more calories. Combine these with traditional cardio, and enjoy the results!
  • ANeal Spruce, Fitness, answered on behalf of dotFIT

Not unless you love it. Reducing calories, as opposed to burning the extra calories, is by far an easier method of reducing weight quickly. That said, do a little cardio for your health, and don’t lose weight too fast; it will come back. It takes the average person 1hr of intense cardio to burn off a café mocha. It takes no time at all to not drink it in the first place. If you want to lose weight very quickly but safely, use our Sharecare Fitness Application located under the Coach tab; click here for access: http://www.sharecare.com/home/coach

Create your goal and you will receive the ideal plan to take you get you there. Below are basic cardiovascular workout instructions.

Guidelines for proper cardiovascular intensity for fat loss:

• Novice exercisers should work within 50 to 60 percent of their maximum heart rate.
    • Once you adapt to an exercise intensity level, it is helpful to increase your workout intensity. Changing the intensity and/or duration of your aerobic workout every two weeks helps you avoid plateaus and continue to lose body fat.

Bottom line: If your goal is body fat loss, higher-intensity exercise yields the same results as lower-intensity exercise, but in a shorter period of time. In order to keep the body from plateaus, the mode and intensity of aerobic training should be changed every two weeks.

How can I exercise to lose weight if I have foot problems?