Question

Everyday Activities & Fitness

Is shoveling snow a good way to get exercise during the winter?

• ALarry Cheskin, MD, Gastroenterology, answered on behalf of Johns Hopkins Medicine

Yes.  Just 45 minutes of shoveling snow burns about 300 calories. (This is based on a 150-pound person).  Compare that to walking at a moderate pace of 3 miles per hour for 60 minutes. Same burn, but with greater benefit: now you can get out of your driveway!

• Shoveling snow can be a very intense activity potentially improving your aerobic fitness, muscular endurance, and aid in weight loss. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing, including a hat and gloves. It is equally important to stay dry and wear proper footwear that repels moisture. 

When shoveling snow use your legs to help lift the snow and concentrate on keeping your abdominals tight helping protect your low-back.

• AClyde Mealy, Fitness, answered
    Yes! First, I would suggest to warm-up as one of my colleagues mentioned. Second, make sure to not do too much at one time (15-20 minutes or so) and use your legs to lift to protect your low back. Third, try one of the new ergonomic shovels with the curved handle which is good for pushing snow as well. I hope this helps and have fun!
  • ABeth Oliver, Fitness, answered

It’s great! Warm up your trunk muscles a bit before you start with some easy twisting movements and stretch your lower back while you are standing, by hugging your knees into your chest, one at a time.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What are some suggestions for a person who really dislikes exercise?