Question

Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Is it important to know my vital signs?

• ARobin Miller, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    It is very important to know your vital signs, which include temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiratory rate. Many people have high blood pressure and do not know it. The only way to know if it is high is by having it checked.  For others the pulse rate may be abnormally fast or slow or irregular. Often times there may be no symptoms but it may indicate a heart problem.  Part of a physical exam includes checking your vital signs. That is one reason why it is so important to be checked out by your medical provider.
  • Knowing your resting heart rate (RHR), blood pressure (BP) and other factors such as blood sugar levels and body composition are important things to be measured when getting cleared for a health and fitness program. These can provide measures of your success and help determine how you will modify your fitness program over time.

Why should I track my exercise progress?