What medicine treats vaginal atrophy other than estrogen cream?

A Answers (3)

  • AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

    Vaginal atrophy can be treated with vaginal dilators -- available in different widths and sizes -- to help improve the elasticity and pliability of the vagina. Treatment usually involves five minutes of daily use with a lubricant. Be sure to discuss this treatment with your gynecologist before it.

    Your pelvic floor -- just like your biceps -- is made of muscle. Sex on a regular basis actually helps keep your vagina in shape. Kegel exercises help, too.


    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AFarzanna S. Haffizulla, MD, Internal Medicine, answered on behalf of MDLIVE

    There are hormonal and non-hormonal options for treating vaginal atrophy. The hormonal options include mainly estrogen that may be in cream , tablet or ring forms. The non-hormonal options are:

    1. Vaginal moisturizers, both water and non-water based
    2. Vaginal dilators: these improve the pliabilty and elasticity of the vaginal canal
    3. Regular sexual activity
    4. Smoking cessation
  • AMediGuard answered
    Vaginal atrophy can be treated a few different ways instead of estrogen cream or vaginal tablets. The cream, tablets and ring remain the standard treatment however. When there is a history of hormone-dependent cancer, it is best to discuss the options with an oncologist. Using a vaginal moisturizer every 2-3 days, a water-based vaginal lubricant and increasing the amount of time allowed for arousal are the most common alternative therapies. You can discuss these options with your physician to determine the best long-term course of action for you.
Did You See?  Close
Who should not take estrogens?