A Answers (4)
American Dental Association answeredLatex allergy generally develops after repeated exposure to products containing natural rubber latex. When exposed to latex proteins, a latex-sensitive individual, whether a health care worker or a patient, may experience minor symptoms, such as hives or nasal congestion. Severe cases may result in anaphylaxis, a dangerous systemic reaction that causes a drop in blood pressure, difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat, tongue and nose, and even loss of consciousness and could be life-threatening if unattended. Emergency medical attention is needed at the first sign of anaphylactic reaction.
Symptoms of a latex allergy can vary from very mild itching or redness of skin in the area that was touched by the latex, which is the most common type of reaction, to a very severe anaphylactic reaction in which the person has difficulty breathing. There is also a wide range of reactions in between. The most common symptom of latex allergy is a rash in any area that has come in contact with the latex for a length of time. The rash may be red, may swell, may itch and may even have small hives or blisters on it.
Clifford Bassett, Allergy & Immunology, answeredThe majority of those affected by latex allergy develop only localized symptoms such as skin irritation and burning, itchiness, redness and/or swelling of the hands or those areas exposed to the latex. Next are those unlucky allergic people who may have reactions that are more serious and progressive.
The following are signs of a latex allergy:
- Red skin or bump after touching rubber
- Itchy or swollen lips after a dental visit
- Runny or itchy eyes after touching rubber
- Pain or a tight feeling in the chest
- Trouble breathing
- Any of the above signs after playing with balloons