Question

Environment - Bones & Joints

What over-the-counter medications can I use to manage joint pain?

• Treatment options for joint pain will often depend on its cause. However, ibuprofen and acetaminophen are common treatments for joint pain and inflammation. Over-the-counter analgesics, such as aspirin or creams, can help to ease pain and reduce swelling in the joints.

• ANatalie E. Azar, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

Some OTC medications for joint pain include acetaminophen, and a variety of anti-inflammatory medications. In this video, rheumatologist Natalie Azar, MD, explains which medications are available and why it's important to consult with your doctor.

Are there alternative treatments for joint pain?