Question

Energy Boosters

What dietary strategies can boost energy?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

These are the dietary tactics that seem to work best for increasing energy:

• Drink as much water as it takes to keep your mouth and lips moist throughout the day, and you can read through your urine. One hidden cause of fatigue is a little bit of dehydration. It's something that many people can't quite identify, so if you're feeling a little low, a glass of water (and not a bag of M&Ms) may be the jolt you really need.
    • Aim to consume high-quality protein as in nuts and fish and low-carb diet, and include lots of fruits, vegetables and 100-percent whole grains.
    • Avoid simple sugars - they end in - ose like glucose, sucrose, maltose, etc - (except ribose?), syrups (another word for sugar), any grain but 100 percent whole grains (since they turn into simple sugars), and saturated and trans fats.
    • If you have chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia and have low blood pressure, you can increase salt intake (try sea salt, when convenient, for the added minerals) when your body craves it.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • ASari Greaves, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Sari Greaves - What dietary strategies can boost energy?

Nutrition specialist Sari Greaves discusses a few dietary strategies that can help boost energy. Watch Sari's video for tips and information on healthy diet and nutrition.

• AAshley Koff, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    I just wrote a book on this (Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged) so please know that there are lots of things but let me give you a few. The first is to focus on the quality of what you eat (I call this being a Qualitarian) so that your body gets what it recognizes most readily and as a result works as efficiently as possible. Second, try nutrient balancing at each eating occasion - this means have a little of each (carb, protein, fat) plus tons of non-starchy vegetables to round out the eating occasion (more on this on my worksheet at www.ashleykoffrd.com/nutritionplan). Third, learn to "turn-it-off" when we allow our bodies (and our minds) to unplug and recharge the body has better energy. I recommend magnesium at night to help naturally calm the body and prepare it for rest.
Will physical activity increase my energy level?