Question

Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How effective are over-the-counter growth hormone supplements?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    All the data I have seen concerning the human growth hormone (HGH) preparations sold as over-the-counter supplements (not the injections in a physician's office) indicate that such preparations are ineffective. Your body sees no increase in your normal HGH level, in HGH-like compounds, or in any other substance that might produce the same effect. However, the good news is that most of these supplements aren't toxic. So, as far as HGH supplements go, you're probably just out a little money, but at least you're not hurting your health. Even so, why take a chance?
Can testosterone or growth hormone supplements increase my muscle mass?