Before giving first aid to the unconscious victim, look at your surroundings and make sure the scene is safe. Next, check to see if the victim is responsive.
1. For an adult or child, gently tap or move the shoulders and ask, "Are you Okay?" Look for any movement, including breathing.
2. For an infant, gently tap the feet, never shake an infant. Look for any movement, including breathing.
3. If the victim is not breathing begin the steps for CPR. Ask someone to call 911 and request an automated external defibrillator (AED).
4. If the victim is breathing but unconscious he/she cannot tell you where the problem is, so you'll need to look for clues. Begin by looking for obvious signs such as bleeding, a bone protruding from a wound, or a gunshot wound.
5. Then check the victim from head to toe and look for anything out of the ordinary. Also, check for a medic alert bracelet or medications. Ask bystanders if they know the victim or how the accident or incident happened.