People lose their appetites for many reasons, including stress, illness or medication side effects. If you find you are rarely hungry, consider ways to healthfully stimulate your appetite:
- Add color, texture and aroma to your meals to make them more appealing. Easy additions include brightly colored crunchy vegetables.
- Eat with friends and family. Sometimes the fun of dining with others can boost your appetite.
- Fill your house with enticing smells such as fresh baked goods.
- Keep your favorite healthful foods on hand. Sometimes convenience can aid you in eating more.
- Engage in physical activity just before you eat. Even a short walk can increase your appetite.
- If stress is a problem for you, try to keep conversations during meals pleasant.
If you remain concerned about your lack of appetite, contact a registered dietitian for additional advice.
More Answers from Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics