Question

Eating Habits and Nutrition

How can I change my thought processes so that I don't crave junk food?

• ALaura Katleman-Prue, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    We imagine that giving up pleasure foods demands a colossal massing of willpower. Thank goodness that's not true. If it were, I'd be in big trouble! The good news is that it's actually easier to give up the junk than to keep eating it. When we decide not to let a particular food past our lips ever again, we effectively shut the door on the egoic mind, the source of impractical food thoughts. Hence, to stop cravings, we need to turn away from thoughts about the foods we crave.

"That's easier said than done," you may counter, particularly when we're talking about physically addictive foods like sugar and chocolate. And I might have agreed with you before I gave up sugar and chocolate and found out how easy it was.

When we keep eating nonfood, we make it so hard on ourselves! But if we decide that a food like chocolate is no longer in our lives, we may miss it for a day or two, but then we forget about it -- no pain, no feeling of deprivation. On the other hand, when we go on a diet and expect to be able to eat our coveted foods again on the maintenance plan, we end up counting down the days until maintenance time arrives.

If thoughts arise about a food that you've given up, simply ignore them. Don't, I repeat, don't give them an audience. If you spend a lot of time entertaining your thoughts about that food, you'll torture yourself. Give up the food for good, commit to not spending any time thinking about it, and life will be so much more pleasant.
  • AKeri Gans, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Keri Gans - How can I change my thought processes so that I don't crave junk food?

Registered Dietitian Keri Gans explains how you can change your thought processes to stop craving junk food. Watch Keri's video for tips and information on nutrition.

Why do I love to eat junk food?