Question

Eating Habits and Nutrition

How can I eat less?

• ARealAge answered
    Here are some tricks that Dan Buettner, author of The Blue Zones, says can help you eat less and stop eating at the right time:
    • Get new glasses. Choose tall and narrow over short and wide drinking glasses. You'll drink 25% to 30% less. Go smaller with plates and bowls as well.
    • Leave food in the kitchen. People who serve themselves at the counter and then walk away eat about 14% less.
    • Supersize with your eyes. Eat less and feel fuller by making your food look bigger. Make hamburger patties half the normal amount and pile on the lettuce, tomatoes, and onions to make your burger appear sizeable.
    • Sit down to eat. Do away with eating on the go, in the car, or while watching TV. Sit down and really pay attention to your food; you'll eat less and feel more satisfied.
    • Weigh in daily. It sounds painful, but stepping on the bathroom scale every day may help you stay on track.
  • ASharon Richter, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Here are a few tips on how to eat less:
    • Use smaller utensils, plates and bowls.
    • Have a glass of water before a meal and between bites.
    • Before you eat, ask yourself, "Am I really hungry or bored, lonely, feeding an emotion?"
    • Cut your portions in half. Once done, give yourself 20 minutes to see if that was enough before finishing.
What is a serving size of red meat?