Here are some tricks that Dan Buettner, author of The Blue Zones, says can help you eat less and stop eating at the right time:
- Get new glasses. Choose tall and narrow over short and wide drinking glasses. You'll drink 25% to 30% less. Go smaller with plates and bowls as well.
- Leave food in the kitchen. People who serve themselves at the counter and then walk away eat about 14% less.
- Supersize with your eyes. Eat less and feel fuller by making your food look bigger. Make hamburger patties half the normal amount and pile on the lettuce, tomatoes, and onions to make your burger appear sizeable.
- Sit down to eat. Do away with eating on the go, in the car, or while watching TV. Sit down and really pay attention to your food; you'll eat less and feel more satisfied.
- Weigh in daily. It sounds painful, but stepping on the bathroom scale every day may help you stay on track.