Instead of reaching for a questionable afternoon pick-me up, try refueling with these fatigue-fighting foods:
- Amaranth: You can eat it with like a grain or pop it like popcorn, amaranth is a fiber-rich, protein-packed seed that will keep you energized all day long
- Pineapple: Loaded with vitamin C, pineapples will help you fight fatigue by stimulating the norepinephrine in your brain. Norepinephrine is a key hormone in the flight or fight response that helps keep you alert and energized.
- Goji Berries: If you're anemic, goji berries are the fatigue fighter for you! Rich in both fiber and red blood cell boosting iron, you only need 1/3 cup a week to reap the benefits
- Rainbow Trout: Another great option for anemia, rainbow trout are loaded with B vitamins - particularly vitamin B-12 which improves red blood cell production.
- Lemon: The smell of fresh lemon is a great way to wake up your senses. Add lemon slices to a glass of water to fight fatigue as you hydrate!
- Trail Mix: Fight the midday fog by snacking on trail mix with nuts and iron-rich dried fruit. Nuts are the perfect snack. Not only are they packed with energy-boosting protein, but they are loaded with magnesium, a mineral that plays a vital role in converting sugar into energy.