Acute otitis media can be prevented in both children and adults by following a few tips.
- Breastfeeding is a good way to pass antibodies that guard against ear infections to your baby.
- If you bottle feed, make sure the baby is fed sitting up. Babies who drink from bottles when they are laying flat on their backs are more prone to otitis media.
- Reduce your child's contact with sick children.
- Ask your doctor about the vaccine Prevnar, which might reduce ear-infection risk.
- Try to keep a smoke-free home and stay away from areas where the air is polluted.
- Adults can use decongestants and allergy medications to help prevent middle ear infections.