Question

Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

How long does dry mouth last?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentistry, answered on behalf of Colgate
    How long dry mouth (xerostomia) lasts depends on what's causing it. If your medication is giving you dry mouth, it will go away once you stop the drug. If you need to take the medication for a chronic condition, talk to your doctor about alternatives that don't have the same side effect. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy for cancer can cause dry mouth. When the treatment stops, dry mouth usually goes away. Conditions that affect the salivary glands and cause dry mouth, such as Sjögren's syndrome, are usually lifelong.
  • Everyone’s mouth can be dry sometimes. If you feel like your mouth is always dry, it may be time to seek treatment. A dentist will check your teeth for signs of decay that can result from decreased salivary flow. A physician will test for any underlying disease or conditions that may be causing your dry mouth.  

• Dry mouth can last a very short period of time or a very long period of time, depending on the cause. Everyone experiences dry mouth at some time in their lives, but chronic dry mouth is typically a side effect to a drug. Ideally, once you discontinue the medication causing your dry mouth, your symptoms will decrease. However, radiation can destroy salivary glands, in which case, xerostomia may become a lifelong condition.

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have dry mouth?