Question

Diverticulitis

What can I do to prevent flare-ups with diverticulitis?

• ABill Salt, MD, Gastroenterology, answered

Lower risk of this complication of diverticulosis with diet and avoidance of two drugs.

DIVERTICULOSIS IS VERY COMMON
    About one of every three Americans will develop small pouches (diverticula) of the colon (diverticulosis) by age 60, and two of every three will have diverticulosis by age 85. Most people with diverticulosis don't have any symptoms from the condition unless they develop one of two complications: either rectal bleeding or inflammation, called diverticulitis. The main symptom of diverticulitis is pain, usually located in the left lower abdomen.

PREVENTING DIVERTICULITIS: DIET
    Doctors used to advise people with diverticulosis to avoid nuts, seeds, corn, and popcorn, since it was thought that they could get stuck in the diverticula and cause diverticulitis. However, there is no scientific evidence that this is true. Furthermore, a study published in the August 27, 2008 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association led by researcher Lisa L. Strate, MD, found that these fiber-containing foods may actually lower the risk of developing diverticulitis.

I advise patients with diverticulosis that there is not only no evidence of harm from eating these fiber-containing foods, there is scientific evidence of benefit of ingesting these foods and dietary fiber. Still, some believe that nuts, seeds, corn, and popcorn trigger their attacks of diverticulitis, so they should avoid them and try to get enough dietary fiber from other sources.

PREVENTING DIVERTICULITIS: AVOIDING TWO DRUGS
    Researchers, again led by Dr. Lisa L. Strate, report in the May, 2011 issue of the medical journal, Gastroenterology that the use of aspirin and NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen and naproxen) raise the risk for both diverticulitis and diverticular bleeding. The risk of diverticulitis increased as the frequency and dosing of the drug rose (so the higher the dose and/or the greater number of times the drug is taken, the higher the risk of developing diverticulitis).

PREVENTING DIVERTICULITIS: DRUG RESEARCH
    Mesalamine is a drug used to treat inflammatory bowel disease, or IBD (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease). Mesalamine is currently undergoing phase III research for prevention of diverticulitis in people with diverticulosis but without inflammatory bowel disease.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What do I need to know about caring for someone with diverticulitis?