Question

Digestive Health

What causes frequent burping?

• ABetty Long, RN, MHA, Nursing, answered

Frequent burping may indicate that you are swallowing too much air, or it may indicate the presence of a more serious problem such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (aka GERD), peptic ulcer disease, gastroparesis or gastritis, or H Pylori infection.

Eating rapidly, gulping beverages, chewing gum, wearing loose-fitting dentures, drinking through a straw, chewing gum and sucking on hard candy can all cause the swallowing of air. Burping can occur voluntarily, and frequent burping may be a habit practiced to relieve indigestion.

Heartburn and "acid indigestion" are common complaints of folks suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. GERD is caused by laxity of the valve at the junction of the stomach and esophagus. This laxity allows significant amounts of food and stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus, causing burning pain, bloating and frequent burping. It can also cause stomach pain similar to an ulcer. Certain foods, medicines and other substances can aggravate GERD, including coffee, cola, alcohol, tomato sauce, anti-inflammatories, smoking and tight clothing.

Another possible cause of frequent burping might be an H. pylori, or Helicobacter pylori infection. H. pylori is a bacteria that infects the stomach and small intestine and is the major cause of stomach and duodenal ulcers. Symptoms of H. pylori infection include frequent burping, bloating, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain and weight loss. H. pylori infection can cause ulcers, gastritis and stomach cancer. It is diagnosed by a blood, breath or stool test. Treatment with antibiotics kills the H. pylori infection, and acid-reducing medications promote healing and relieve symptoms.

Why do I have to go to the bathroom when I am on long runs?