Question

Dieting For Weight Loss

How can eating nuts promote weight loss?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Eating nuts does not create the calorie intake that you might expect, because 5 to 15 percent of the calories are not absorbed by the intestinal system. That's because the presence of the skin and how well we chew influences digestion. An added bonus: The slow release of calories throughout the intestinal system leads to prolonged satiety.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • AJudy Caplan, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
    Contrary to popular belief, nuts are good for weight loss. You do however have to watch the amount and not eat too many. Nuts are loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats are great for your heart and brain. They fill you up and keep you full and satisfied. Nuts reduce your cravings for sweets. They also help stabilize your blood sugar. Healthy fats like nuts help you eat less!
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • While nuts do have a large amount of calories and fat, if you eat them in controlled portions they will be very beneficial for weight loss. I usually recommend eating raw nuts (without salt, sugar, etc) in 1 oz serving sizes. Nuts contain the healthy fats that won't clog arteries. This healthy fat will also help you feel full. They are also good souces of protein and fiber and many essential vitamins your body needs.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • ADee Sandquist, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Nuts help keep you feeling full longer and may help prevent you from eating additional calories. Try a handful of nuts for a snack, eat them one at a time, and chew slowly. Nuts are high in calories and healthy fat. Most nuts contain healthy fats that do not clog arteries. In addition, nuts are also good sources of protein, dietary fiber, and minerals including magnesium and copper.

Have one handful of nuts a day. Choose to eat the nuts slowly instead of in one handful. Why? You will eat less overall.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • APaula Greer, Midwifery Nursing, answered

Nuts are a great source of healthy fats, fiber and magnesium. Eating nuts before a meal can help you to feel full and not to eat as much. Unfortunately nuts are also high in calories. If you are trying to lose weight just 8-10 almonds or walnuts 20 minutes before your meal or as a snack can give you fiber, bulk, magnesium, healthy fats and help you feel full but if you think you can eat them and not control your portion size you will get an unpleasant surprise when it’s time to get on the scale. I use nuts as a quick snack because it travels well, can be slipped into my lab coat pocket and eaten quickly on the run when I have a busy day and need my snacks to keep my metabolism revved up so I can burn those calories. Eating nuts has helped me with my weight loss but portion control is the key.

• ARuth Frechman, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
    Eating a handful of almonds or other nut before a meal will "fill you up," so when it's time to eat you will eat smaller portions. Nuts contain fat, the good kind of monounsaturated fat. Fat is filling. It's important to remember to watch portion sizes of nuts. It's not a good idea to eat out of the can or jar. One handful is about one ounce. Just the right amount for snacking!
  • I truely believe that not one or even a few foods out there will promote you to lose weight.  In the first place we gain weight because we are moving less and eating more.  However, eating more frequently throughout the day about 5-6 small meals a day will help this.  Nuts would be a great snack for mid morning or afternoon.  Weight loss will happen do to control calorie intake throughout the day and burning more than you eat.  So eat healthy and eat smart to guide your way to weight loss.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ATroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    There are many health advantages to eating nuts.  They are rich in magnesium which we need to utilize calcium.  They are also wealthy in "good for you" fat.  The problem is when we say eating nuts "promotes" weight loss.  It gives the wrong impression.  Weight loss can only be accomplished through caloric reduction and nuts are rich in calories.  If you eat a normal breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then supplement that diet with lots of nuts while there will be certain health benefits losing weight will not be one of them.  When nuts are used as part of a nutritional picture, within a total caloric picture that provides a deficit then they are a great food to replace other calories. They are very satisfying and great for you.  Nuts are wonderful but will only promote weight loss if the total caloric picture promotes weight loss.  That means you have to eat less than you need on a daily basis to lose weight.
    Helpful? 5 people found this helpful.
How does my environment influence how much I eat?