Having a weight gain plan of action is key. Here are some ways to gain weight healthfully.
- Eat frequently. Don’t go longer than three hours without eating. If you go for too long without eating, you metabolically start to slow down. When you eat every couple of hours, you’ll eat more calories and help prevent your body from losing lean body mass.
- Go for variety. Eat at least three different foods at every meal and snack. . Be sure to include at least three different foods when you’re eating. That way you’re getting different nutrients to build muscle with.
- Choose higher calorie foods. When we think high-calorie foods, most people think “fat,” Fat will have more than twice as many calories for the same amount of protein or carbs. Stick to unsaturated heart-healthy fats found mainly in vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, olives and avocados.
- Drink lots of fluids. Drink 100 percent fruit juice and smoothies. Make a smoothie with 1 to 2 percent milk or low-fat yogurt and strawberries or bananas and peanut butter. Add a tablespoon or two of protein powder or a plain whey powder to increase up the calories and protein content.
- Sleep. Whether you’re aiming for weight loss or weight gain, it’s important to get adequate sleep. You’re body has to have time to rebuild muscle and store it in a healthy way versus just turning your food into fat.
- Eat more protein. You should eat 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight, which is equal to about 94 grams for 125 pounds. Have some protein source at every meal. Healthy foods that will help you gain weight and contain protein include low-fat dairy, lean meats, and nuts or seeds.