Question

Diet & Nervous System

How can walnuts keep my brain healthy?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Walnuts have long been considered good for the brain. They are rich with brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids, which also have positive effects on mood. Like many antidepressants, walnuts work to boost the brain’s serotonin levels. The healthy oil also works at lowering cholesterol.

Walnuts are a delicious addition to savory dishes like salads, oatmeal, and stuffing. Try not to eat too many, however, as walnuts are high in calories. Try to limit your serving to 1 ounce or 14 walnut halves.
    This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AAARP answered
    Walnut Salad

If you love the crunch of croutons on your salad, try walnuts instead. Omega-3 fatty acids in walnuts have been found to improve mood and calm inflammation that may lead to brain-cell death. They also replace lost melatonin, which is necessary for healthy brain functioning.

Walnut Salad
  • AMarjorie Nolan Cohn, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Walnuts are made up of 15 to 20 percent protein and contain linoleic (omega-6 fatty acids) and alpha-linoleic acids (omega-3 fatty acids), vitamin E and vitamin B6, making them an excellent source of nourishment for your nervous system.

How can almonds and blueberries help keep my mind sharp?