The following important tips can be helpful with your diet if you are on hemodialysis:
- Fresh or plain frozen vegetables contain no added salt. Drain all the cooking fluid before serving.
- Canned fruits usually contain less potassium than fresh fruits. Drain all the fluid before serving.
- Non-dairy creamers are low in phosphorus and can be used in place of milk.
- Labels on food packages will give you information about some of the ingredients that may not be allowed in your diet. Learn to read these labels.
- To help you avoid salt, many herbs and spices can be used to make your diet more interesting. Check with your dietitian for a list of these.