Remember the following foods contain carbohydrates, starches, starchy vegetables (Squash, potatoes, corn, beans, peas), milk and yogurt, fruits, and sweets/desserts.
Healthy food choices also include fresh fruits and vegetables that are high in nutrients and fiber and low in sodium. Choose whole grains such as oats, barley, whole-grain wheat, buckwheat, quinoa, or rye.
- Include a healthy protein choice at every meal
- Choose high fiber foods to help control blood sugar
- Limit simple sugars and concentrated sweets
- Select healthy choices from each food group:
- Follow a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet
- Bake, broil, or grill your meat instead of frying
- Season your food with fresh or dried herbs and spices instead of salting it; Measure out carbohydrate food servings at least once a month to make sure you are eating the correct portion size; Be aware that breaded meats and vegetables have carbohydrates in them!