Question

Diabetes

What should I know after giving birth if I have diabetes?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    If you have diabetes, your doctor may treat your pregnancy a little differently. For example, if a woman has diabetes, some doctors would prefer to deliver her baby a week or two before the due date to lower the risk of certain problems at birth. After you deliver, you should breastfeed your baby. But because breastfeeding can lower the amount of insulin your body needs, you'll need to check your blood sugar and adjust any medications accordingly. You'll also want to plan your meals and snacks carefully around breastfeeding so you don't experience very low blood sugar.
  • You can become pregnant again soon after you give birth. Even if you have not had a period, you can still ovulate. Breast-feeding does not necessarily prevent you from becoming pregnant. So, before you resume having intercourse, be sure you are using effective birth control.

Although virtually every aspect of your life may seem turned on its head after the birth of a new baby, the four basic management tools remain the same: insulin or other diabetes medication (oral diabetes medications cannot be used while you are breast-feeding), blood glucose monitoring, meal planning, and physical activity.

Working out may be the last thing you are thinking about after the baby is born. But as soon as you feel well enough and you have your doctor’s okay, taking your baby for a daily walk can help you feel better and more relaxed.

What happens to my glucose levels after childbirth if I have diabetes?