Question

Diabetes

What does insulin do in my body?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Insulin and Blood Sugar
    Insulin controls the amount of sugar from digested foods circulating in your bloodstream, and allows cells to use the sugar for fuel or be stored for future needs. Watch the animation to learn the basics about insulin.
  • AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas that helps the body store and use glucose.

Think of insulin as the U.S. Postal Service and glucose as the mail; insulin is responsible for delivering that glucose (sugar) from the bloodstream into muscle, fat, liver, and most other cells so that your body can use it for fuel.

I wish insulin had a similar mantra to the USPS-neither blood, not fat, nor DNA will keep insulin from delivering glucose throughout the body-but doesn't quite work that way. And problems happen either when the pancreas doesn't make enough insulin or because various parts of the body block insulin and prevent it from delivering glucose to those cells.
  • AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered

Insulin is a hormone produced and secreted by the pancreas or administered by injection, that is necessary for glucose (in the blood) to be transported into cells where it is converted into energy. The only tissues that do not require insulin to transport glucose into cells are the brain and heart.

• One of insulin’s most important jobs is to help cells use glucose.
    Insulin acts like a key to unlock the door that lets glucose into the cell. Cells in the body use glucose as a source of energy that they need to live. Without energy, the cells in the body cannot survive. Insulin also helps the body to store extra fuel as fat.
  • AKate Myerson, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    I like to think of insulin as being the key to a car. The car is our body and instead of gas we run on glucose. The gas gauge is like a blood glucose meter, we can run without it for a while but it is really useful for telling us when we are going to run out of energy. Without the key to the car (insulin) we are not going anywhere. We need insulin to use the sugar to give us energy. 
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What are the symptoms of diabetes in older people?