Question

Diabetes

What are the chances of my child getting type 1 diabetes if I have it?

• In general, if you are a man with type 1 diabetes, the odds of your child getting diabetes are one in 17. If you are a woman with type 1 diabetes and your child was born before you were 25, your child's risk is one in 25; if your child was born after you turned 25, your child's risk is one in 100.

Your child's risk is doubled if you developed diabetes before age 11. If both you and your partner have type 1 diabetes, the risk is between one in ten and one in four.

There is an exception to these numbers. About one in every seven people with type 1 diabetes has a condition called type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. In addition to having diabetes, these people also have thyroid disease and a poorly working adrenal gland. Some also have other immune system disorders. If you have this syndrome, your child's risk of getting the syndrome, including type 1 diabetes, is one in two.
  • According to the American Diabetes Association, if you are a man with diabetes, your child has 1 in 17 odds of developing the type 1 diabetes. If you are a woman with diabetes, your child's risk of developing the disease is between 1 in 25 and 1 in 100.

Other factors that increase your child's diabetes risk include: both parents having type 1 diabetes, one parent developing diabetes before age 11, and having a disorder called polyglandular autoimmune disorder. Certain blood tests for antibodies and genetic markers can test for and help evaluate risk for diabetes as well.

The best way to determine your child's risk is to discuss your family's history and risk factors on an individualized basis with your doctor or a genetics specialist.
Does diabetes have a genetic cause?