Question

Diabetes

What should I do if my blood glucose level goes down?

• Low blood glucose (hypoglycemia) can make you feel shaky, weak, confused, irritable, hungry, or tired. You may sweat a lot or get a headache. If you have these symptoms, check your blood glucose. If it is below 70, have one of the following right away:

Three or four glucose tablets One serving of glucose gel-the amount equal to 15 grams of carbohydrate Half a cup (4 oz.) of any fruit juice Half a cup (4 oz.) of a regular (not diet) soft drink One cup (8 oz.) of milk Five or six pieces of hard candy One tablespoon of sugar or honey After 15 minutes, check your blood glucose again. If it's still too low, have another serving. Repeat these steps until your blood glucose level is 70 or higher. If it will be an hour or more before your next meal, have a snack as well.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Why should I keep a log book of my blood glucose monitoring results?