Should I call 9-1-1 for someone having a diabetic emergency?

A Answers (1)

  • AAmerican Red Cross answered
    Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if:
    • The person is unconscious or about to lose consciousness. In this situation, do not give the person anything by mouth. After calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number, care for the person in the same way you would care for an unconscious person. This includes making sure the person’s airway is clear of vomit, checking for breathing, and giving care until advanced medical personnel take over.
    • The person is conscious but unable to swallow. (In this case, do not put anything -- liquid or solid -- into the person’s mouth.)
    • The person does not feel better within about five minutes after taking some form of sugar.
    • You cannot find any form of sugar immediately. Do not spend time looking for it.
Did You See?  Close
How can I best communicate with my partner if our child has diabetes?