Question

Diabetes

Is there an over the counter medication to control blood sugar?

• AWilliam Lee Dubois, Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, answered

Ummmm… not in the traditional sense. In many states you can purchase insulin without a prescription, which I guess makes it over-the-counter. The reason for this is that type-1 diabetics like me die without insulin. Many state houses have removed insulin from prescription status, as sometimes poverty-stricken type-1s cannot afford both a doctor’s visit and a prescription medication.

But it sounds more like you want to know if there is a blood sugar version of Aspirin or Tums, and unfortunately, the answer is “no.” At least in the United States, all of the other medications needed to keep blood sugar in check are prescription meds. On the bright side, quite a number of them are generics and are on Walmart’s $4 formulary.

Getting a prescription requires, at the very least, one doctor’s visit per year (but most will want to see you more often).

Of course, you can control your blood sugar to some degree by being careful of what you eat. High carb foods turn to sugar in your body more quickly than other kinds of foods. To keep things simple, you can remember that high carb foods tend to be white in color: things made with sugar, flour, potatoes, and rice. Corn, although technically usually light yellow in color, is an honorary white food.

• Sugar foods are candy, cakes, and sodas.
    • Flour foods are bread, tortillas, waffles, and pasta.
    • Potato foods are fries, hashed, chipped, and baked.
    • Rice includes all kinds of rice as well as some chips and noodles.

Oh. Right. Thanks for asking. Cauliflower and cottage cheese, while white, won’t give your blood sugar any trouble.

On the other side of the coin, anything that used to walk, run, fly, swim, crawl, or slither won’t have any effect on blood sugar worth mentioning. So reasonable servings of meat are freebies, as are most veggies that grow above the ground. The ones that grow under the soil tend to be higher in sugar.

Does that mean you can’t eat white foods? Of course not, but if you moderate them, and never let them make up more than a quarter of your meal, you can keep your blood sugar in as good as control as possible without meds. Will it be enough? I can’t say. It might be. It might not be. But paying attention to carbs at the very minimum will reduce the amount of prescribed medications you will need.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What is the difference in hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia?