Question

Diabetes

Is diabetes reversible?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Reversible diabetes

Managing diabetes through a proper diet can help you live better and longer -- and may even help you change the course of the disease. In this video, Dr. Oz talks about the tremendous effect that diet can have on diabetes, even reversing your diagnosis.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • AAthena Philis-Tsimikas, MD, Endocrinology/diabetes/metabolism, answered on behalf of Scripps Health
    Can I reverse diabetes?

If you've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, here's some good news: It's possible to reverse it, says Athena Philis-Tsimikas, MD, an endocrinologist at Scripps Health. In this video, she explains how healthy lifestyle changes may reverse diabetes.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • AJoel Fuhrman, MD, Family Medicine, answered
    Yes, type 2 diabetes can be reversed and its tragic complications can be avoided. The most effective treatment for type 2 diabetes is significant weight loss with a high-nutrient eating style and frequent exercise. It may take a little extra effort, but avoiding the tragic complications of diabetes and a premature death is well worth it.  Follow a vegetable-based eating style with a high nutrient-to-calorie ratio, as described in my book The End of Diabetes. Emphasize greens and beans, other non-starchy vegetables, (such as mushrooms, eggplant, tomatoes and onions), raw nuts and seeds, and a limited amount of fresh fruit. Avoid sweeteners, white flour products, and processed foods.  Eating in this style allows you to lose excess weight – the cause of type 2 diabetes – quickly and easily, and also flood the body with disease-protective and healing micronutrients and phytochemicals that aid the body’s recovery and self-repair mechanism.
    Helpful? 9 people found this helpful.
How should I choose a doctor for my diabetes care?