Question

Diabetes

How can I lower my blood sugar if I have diabetes?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    The good news with diabetes is that you can potentially lower your numbers dramatically. Here are some tips:
    • Try vinegar: Take 1 teaspoon before a meal to help keep blood sugar stable.
    • For a sweet fix, eat fruit: Instead of reaching for cookies or other sweets loaded with refined sugar, reach for specific fruits that are high in fiber and low in sugar such as cherries or apricots.
    • Take alpha lipoic acid: This supplement has been shown to lower blood sugar levels. You can start by taking 300 mg and work up to 500 mg. Available at vitamin stores for about  $10.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • To reach your A1C or estimated average glucose (eAG) targets and lower blood glucose, you should:

Look at the amounts of carbohydrate (carb) foods you're having at each meal. Carbohydrate foods -- bread, tortillas, biscuits, rice, pasta, crackers, cereal, fruit, juice, milk, potatoes, corn, peas, and sweets -- can be part of a diabetes meal plan. However, because they raise your blood glucose more than other foods do, try to closely watch the amount of carb foods you eat. For many people, having 3 or 4 servings of a carb choice at each meal and 1 or 2 servings at snacks is about right. See the serving size guide below. Work with your health care team to design a meal plan that will fit the way you live and include the foods you like. Ask for a complete list of carb choices and serving sizes.

Here is a list of carb choices and serving sizes:
    • Bread: 1 slice
    • Tortilla: 1 small
    • Fruit and juice: 1 small piece or 1/2 cup
    • Milk and sugar-free yogurt: 1 cup
    • Noodles or rice: 1/3 cup
    • Corn, peas, and potatoes: 1/2 cup

Be more active. Physical activity such as walking or yardwork can help lower your blood glucose and help relieve stress.

Take your diabetes pills or insulin as prescribed to lower your blood glucose. Be sure to ask your team when to take your medicines.
  • APhil Southerland, Healthcare, answered

To decrease your blood sugar, eliminate bad habits that lead to what I call “O-o-t”-y (“out-of-target”) blood sugars. Pick two or three of these habits and say bye-bye! These habits might include:

• snacking when your blood sugar is high
    • eating without checking your blood sugar
    • skipping boluses or corrections
    • Cutting out candy bars and soft drinks
    • Getting down on yourself for a high blood sugar (it happens to the best of us; don’t use it as an excuse to quick trying!)

How can sleep affect my blood sugar levels?