Question

Diabetes

How can I lower my blood glucose level if I have diabetes?

• To reach your A1C or estimated average glucose (eAG) targets and lower blood glucose, you should:

- Look at the amounts of carbohydrate (carb) foods you're having at each meal. Carbohydrate foods -- bread, tortillas, biscuits, rice, pasta, crackers, cereal, fruit, juice, milk, potatoes, corn, peas, and sweets -- can be part of a diabetes meal plan. However, because they raise your blood glucose more than other foods do, try to closely watch the amount of carb foods you eat. For many people, having 3 or 4 servings of a carb choice at each meal and 1 or 2 servings at snacks is about right. See the serving size guide below. Work with your health care team to design a meal plan that will fit the way you live and include the foods you like. Ask for a complete list of carb choices and serving sizes.

Here is a list of carb choices and serving sizes:

Bread: 1 slice
    Tortilla: 1 small
    Fruit and juice: 1 small piece or 1?2 cup
    Milk and sugar-free yogurt: 1 cup
    Noodles or rice: 1?3 cup
    Corn, peas, and potatoes: 1?2 cup

- Be more active. Physical activity such as walking or yardwork can help lower your blood glucose and help relieve stress.

- Take your diabetes pills or insulin as prescribed to lower your blood glucose. Be sure to ask your team when to take your medicines.
What should my target blood glucose level be if I have diabetes?