Question

Diabetes

How can I keep my blood sugar levels down?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    To keep blood sugar levels down, you should avoid foods with simple sugar, trans fat and saturated fat.

Also, a little physical activity goes a long way. Burning about 1,000 calories a week through activity—about 30 minutes of walking a day and 30 minutes of weight lifting a week—causes your muscles to be so much more sensitive to insulin, which allows sugar to do its duty inside your cells rather than cause havoc in the bloodstream.
  • AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and losing weight if you are overweight are the best ways to keep your blood sugar at a normal level. If your blood sugar levels are high but not high enough to qualify as diabetes, you may have a condition called prediabetes. If you have prediabetes, you may be able to lower your blood sugar levels by losing a modest amount of weight (5% to 10% of your body weight) and doing mild exercise such as walking for 30 minutes a day, five days a week. Eating a balanced diet, with plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, low-fat dairy products and whole grains, is also key. So is eating regular meals and small snacks, and cutting back on high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Why should I care about blood sugar if I don't have diabetes?