- Choose dairy products like low-fat or fat-free milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Choose lean meats and chicken without the skin.
- Eat fish 2-3 times per week.
- Eat vegetables and fruit every day.
- Choose whole grain breads, cereals and pasta.
- Choose foods with less salt.
- If you are trying to lose weight, cut back on your portion sizes.
Below are examples of ways to change your meals:
- For lunch, choose a grilled chicken breast sandwich and a side salad instead of chicken fingers with French fries.
- For breakfast, choose whole wheat toast with light margarine or butter instead of a bagel with regular margarine or butter.