Question

Diabetes

How can continuous glucose monitoring help me if I have diabetes?

• AElise McCormack-Granja, MD, Internal Medicine, answered on behalf of Baptist Health South Florida

Continuous glucose monitoring is a mainstream diagnostic tool, readily available in diabetes care centers around the United States. This test should be used to help healthcare professionals and their patients understand how different foods and activities affect blood sugar. Continuous glucose monitoring uses a device that is worn for seven days. The device keeps track of blood sugar by testing every few minutes. The patient keeps a diary of what he or she is doing at various times. By comparing spikes and drops in blood sugar tracked by the monitor with the diary, a person knows precisely how his or her body reacted to that Chinese dinner the night before or a half-hour on the treadmill that morning. It’s a great help in planning a lifestyle that keeps blood sugar under good control.

What are the benefits of a continuous blood glucose monitor?