Question

Diabetes and Oral Health

What's the best toothpaste for someone with diabetes?

• ARealAge answered

Unless your diabetes doctor instructs you otherwise, look for a toothpaste that contains fluoride and is approved by the American Dental Association (ADA). There are many different types of toothpastes available. Toothpaste can have different functions such as to improve gum health, reduce plaque or to whiten stained teeth. The toothpaste you select is for your personal usage, so spoil yourself and find the type you like best. You may have sensitive teeth and need a toothpaste to help with sensitivity. Or you may want a whitening toothpaste or a toothpaste that removes plaque. You may have to try several types of toothpaste to find the right taste and texture. Then you need to use the toothpaste twice a day for brushing your teeth. Be sure to floss once a day, too.

Always get the advice of your dental professional.

How do I know if my diabetes has caused tooth or gum problems?