Question

Diabetes and Oral Health

I have dry mouth. Does this mean I have diabetes?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentistry, answered on behalf of Colgate

A dry mouth, or xerostomia, does not necessarily mean you have diabetes. A doctor can help you diagnose the problem. First, you may not have any disease at all. You may just be dehydrated. Try drinking more water and limit your caffeine and alcohol intake. These can make you dehydrated. Try to limit eating high sugar foods and beverages, like candy, candy bars, and soft drinks.  If these don't work, talk to your doctor. Only a doctor can determine if dry mouth is a consequence of hyperglycemia or some other cause.

While it is true that dry mouth can be a symptom of diabetes and hyperglycemia, ( too much sugar in the blood), there are many other causes. For instance, many prescription or over-the-counter drugs can cause dry mouth. Dry mouth is a side effect for about 80% of the top 10 prescription drugs that treat conditions like allergies, blood pressure, depression or anxiety, and Parkinson's disease. Also, Sjogren's (pronounced "Showgren's") syndrome causes dry eyes and dry mouth. Also, dry mouth could be the result of normal aging.  Dry mouth can occur if you chew less than you used to. This is because the saliva glands produce more saliva when we chew. If you chew less, you get less saliva. Talk to your doctor.

Can my dentist diagnose diabetes?