Question

Diabetes Complications

What should I eat if I have diabetes-related gastroparesis?

• Changing your eating habits can help control gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying). Your doctor or dietitian will give you specific instructions, but you may be asked to eat six small meals a day instead of three large ones. If less food enters the stomach each time you eat, it may not become overly full. Or the doctor or dietitian may suggest that you try several liquid meals a day until your blood glucose levels are stable and the gastroparesis has improved. Liquid meals provide all the nutrients found in solid foods, but can pass through the stomach more easily and quickly.

Your doctor may also recommend that you avoid high-fat and high-fiber foods. Fat naturally slows digestion -- something you don't need if you have gastroparesis -- and fiber is difficult to digest. Some high-fiber foods like oranges and broccoli contain material that cannot be digested. Avoid these foods because the indigestible part will remain in the stomach too long and possibly form bezoars (food hardened into solid masses).
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How is diabetic gastroparesis treated?