Question

Diabetes Complications

How does high blood pressure affect diabetes?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Having high blood pressure can really magnify the effects of diabetes by aging your arteries -- both high blood pressure and high blood sugar cause nicks or holes in the arteries' walls. Aged arteries then would lack the ability to deliver blood supply to certain key areas, like the heart, brain, penis, and clitoris. And that leads to the possibility of causing heart attacks, strokes, impotence, and decline of orgasm quality.
  • ARealAge answered

Nearly one in three Americans has high blood pressure, or hypertension, a state in which your blood pressure levels are above 140/90. High blood pressure means your heart is working harder than it should to pump blood throughout your body. Hypertension doesn't cause diabetes, but high blood pressure is often a sign of diabetes. The good news is many of the same steps that can help you prevent diabetes (e.g., exercising and eating right) can also stave off or lower high blood pressure.

How can I control my blood pressure if I have diabetes?