Question

Oral Health

Where can I get free dental care?

• If you don't qualify for dental Medicaid or CHIP, try contacting your local or state dental society to see if there are any upcoming treatment programs such as Missions of Mercy (MOM) or Remote Area Medical (RAM) events in your area. Another option for lower-cost dental care is dental school clinic. Generally, dental costs in school clinics are reduced and may include only partial payment for professional services covering the cost of materials and equipment.

Dental disease is almost entirely preventable and untreated dental disease can lead to serious health problems such as infection, damage to bone or nerve, and tooth loss. Infection from tooth disease can even spread to other parts of the body and in rare cases, can lead to death. You can practice preventive dentistry on yourself by adopting these healthy habits: Always remember to brush your teeth twice a day, floss between teeth.

• ASaul Miller, Dentistry, answered
    Free dental care may be found in government dental clinics (often locally run), non-profit agency dental facilities and special programs coordinated with local, state or national dental societies. Periodically Mission of Mercy in cooperation with local dentists will provide free care in a variety of regions.

Low cost care may also be an option and is usually found in the following settings:
    • Dental schools
    • Teaching hospital clinics
    • Government clinics, often locally run
    • Non-profit agency dental facilities
    • Junior college clinics where assistants and hygienists are often trained.
    • Private offices that participate with state-assisted dental programs
    As important as it is to find affordable care, it is equally, if not more, important to practice good oral hygiene to minimize potential problems that may increase costs. Information regarding proper home care techniques can be found in other sharecare.com answers and elsewhere online.
Should I cancel my dentist appointment if I'm feeling sick?