Question

Oral Health

How long will it take me to adjust to new dentures?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentistry, answered on behalf of Colgate
    The amount of time it takes to adjust to new dentures depends on each individual. However, most people take at least a few months to adjust to wearing dentures. This is because your body needs to learn how to do things with dentures in place. It will obviously take a few weeks for dentures to feel comfortable -- until then, a little irritation or discomfort is normal. It will also feel awkward eating and speaking for the first few months. The more you practice, the more quickly these activities will feel normal with your dentures. If you're concerned with your adjustment to new dentures, talk to your dentist.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • New dentures may feel awkward for a few weeks until you become accustomed to them.

The dentures may feel loose while the muscles of your cheek and tongue learn to keep them in place. It is not unusual to experience minor irritation or soreness. You may find that saliva flow temporarily increases. As your mouth becomes accustomed to the dentures, these problems should go away.
  • ASaul Miller, Dentistry, answered
    This is an excellent question that only the patient can ultimately answer. There is a period of time that must be expected to learn to eat, speak and function with new dentures. This is a learning process.

As I have noted in other answers, all aspects of treatment can be performed well, but each individual takes a different amount of time to adapt to new dentures. Even for some patients who have been wearing dentures, it can still be a difficult challenge to get used to a new better fitting and better looking denture. For the first time denture wearer, adapting to plastic on the roof of the mouth can take some time, along with getting used to the foreign material in the mouth in general.

Having stated the above, most of my patients readily adapt to their new dentures, including first time denture wearers. We inform them thoroughly about what to expect and the limitations of dentures so that they understand that dentures are not like natural teeth.
How long do dentures usually last?