Question

Oral Health

How can I stop chewing on the side of my mouth?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentistry, answered on behalf of Colgate
    If you are in the habit of chewing on the inside of your mouth, try switching to sugarless gum. Chewing on the inside of your mouth can cause painful, oral ulcers that can lead to infection. The habit can also lead to a more serious condition called leukoplakia, which can eventually become cancerous. If you are unable to stop chewing on the inside of your mouth, be sure to discuss the problem with your dentist.
  • Chewing the inside of your mouth/cheek is a bad habit. Is the chewing something your consciously aware of? If so, you may want to try a healthier alternative such as chewing sugarless gum or even chewing on a straw to wean you off. If the chewing is severe, it can lead to mouth ulcers or even interfere with your bite. This is why it's important that you discuss your condition with your physician or dentist.

Is it normal to lose most of your gums in your 60's?