Question

Oral Health

Do I need dentures even if I still have some natural teeth?

• Sometimes some of your teeth can be saved to preserve your jawbone and provide stability and support for the denture. An overdenture fits over a small number of remaining natural teeth after they have been prepared by your dentist. Implants can serve the same function, too.

Talk with your dentist to determine if a denture may help to improve eating, speaking or facial appearance.
  • ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentistry, answered on behalf of Colgate
    Dentures are commonly used for people who still have some natural teeth. Partial dentures are designed to fit between existing teeth and are used to "fill gaps" where people are missing just a few teeth. Even if you are missing most of your teeth, you can still get partial dentures if you have a few teeth left.  In fact, many dentists like to preserve as many natural teeth as possible when fitting people for partial dentures. This is because existing teeth can help you retain bone in your jaw, and they can help support partial dentures or overdentures. Having some natural teeth can help your dentures feel more stable and can help in activities like chewing.
  • ARomesh Nalliah, Dentistry, answered
    Dentures can be advantageous even if you only have a few teeth missing. Firstly, it prevents overeruption of the opposing natural tooth which is a natural phenomena. Secondly, it prevents tilting of adjacent teeth into the gaps. Thirdly, it increases your chewing efficiency by giving you more teeth to eat with. Alternatives, such as dental implants, should also be considered in consultation with your dentist.
  • AArnold Liebman, Dentistry, answered
    When you speak of dentures they can be full dentures (No remaining natural teeth) or partial dentures (Have some remaining teeth). Therefore, the answer is yes for a partial denture.

What is of concern is the structural integrity and strategic location of the remaining teeth. Only a dentist can determine if remaining teeth should be considered to be used in a partial denture.

Lower full dentures are more problematic than upper dentures as far as stability; therefore if teeth can be maintained in the lower they should be considered.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Can I still get cavities if I have dentures?